Friday, September 17, 2010

Fetal Fibronectin Test Predicts Preterm Labor

I finally got out of the house.  Of course this was for a doctor's appointment.  However, the weather was so beautiful.  As usual due to California traffic we were late to the appointment but the doctor was also running late. My Hubby, never one to disappoint, always says something embarrassing which is ultimately funny.  This time as one lady was called into an appointment he told her to "have fun".  As I covered my face with a magazine, the lady and nurse laughed.  That has to be the perfect thing to tell a lady as she walks into a GYN appointment.  Gotta love him.

At this doctor's appointment I had to have my cervix checked and take a fetal fibronectin test.  My cervix is closed but soft.  So that is what you call good and bad news.  The baby is still hanging very low which continues to place pressure on the cervix.  Personally I think she is staying low so her feet can continue to have a good aim at my bladder.  Girly girl or not she is going to play soccer.

Now let me explain a little about fetal fibronectin (fFN).  According the website http://www.ffntest.com/info/fetal_test.html

"Fetal fibronectin (fFN) is a "glue-like" protein your body makes to hold your baby in your womb. When your body is getting ready to give birth, this glue breaks down and leaks out of the uterus. Measuring the level of fetal fibronectin through a simple test can show if your body is getting ready to give birth."

The fFN test determines how much fFN is present and helps predict preterm labor.  Because I am less that 35 weeks pregnant very little fFN should be present.  The fFN test is not painful just a little uncomfortable but no different that an annual pap smear exam.  The results come back the next day and is over 99% accurate.  If the result is positive then my body has started "leaking fFN into the vagina" and is preparing itself for labor.  My doctor stated that a positive result means I could go into labor within the next 10 days.  The Hubby asked what a negative result means and the Dr. indicated that there is less than a .03% chance of me delivering in two weeks.  This is my second fFN test.  My first one was given to me when I was 25 weeks and it was negative.  Now we are waiting for my 29 week result. 

If the test results are positive the Dr stated that we are already taking the necessary precautions which is bed rest and taking medication that prevents contractions. 

My bed rest has been upgraded so that I am now allowed to sit in a reclining position with my feet up.  The Dr. does not want me to get clots in my legs from laying down so much.  I am still not allowed to do any thing like cooking, cleaning, lifting or chasing my daughter.  However, when the Dr said I can recline with my legs up I said "self . . . this would be a good time to get a pedicure after all the spa chair reclines and my feet would be up."  So I asked the Dr. and she said yes.  YEAH!  Well the Hubby said no . . . not until we get the results of the fFN test.  The Dr. laughed but said it was still okay for me to have a pedicure. 

After the doctor's visit the Hubby took me to have lunch.  It was nice sitting outside in the sunshine just the two of us talking, laughing and not worrying about the current situation. I love me some him! 

Now back to my modified bed rest where I wait for the fFN test results.  We pray for negative results.

No comments:

Post a Comment